ST JOHN’S CATHOLIC PRIMARY AND PRE-SCHOOL (ACADEMY) TIVERTON
PUPIL PREMIUM ACTION PLAN AND SPENDING
Pupil Premium and Free School Meals
What is Pupil Premium? Isn’t that just Free School Meals?
No, it is much more than just Free School Meals.
Pupil Premium is about the provision of free school meals AND additional funding for the school which the school receives to help support the children of families in receipt of certain benefits:
- Universal Credit (provided you have an annual net earned income of no more than £7,400, as assessed by earnings from up to three of your most recent assessment periods)
- Income Support (IS)
- Income-based Jobseekers Allowance (IBJSA)
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (IRESA)
- The guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income as assessed by Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs, that does not exceed £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on (the payment someone receives for a further four weeks after they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)
But isn’t my child entitled to free school meals anyway when they are in Reception, Y1 and Y2?
Yes, that is right. The Government introduced universal infant free school meals for all key stage 1 pupils from September 2014. All pupils in reception, year 1 and year 2 in state-funded schools in England are eligible for Universal Infant Free school meals.
So why do I need to apply if my child is going to get free school meals anyway?
Because if you think you might be eligible then it is important that you still apply for Free School Meals because doing so ensures additional funding for the school.
This funding can be used to help support your child’s learning and well-being. For example, we can fund between 50% and 100% of any school trips, we can offer daily snacks free of charge, 6 weeks of free swimming lessons every year (from Year 1 all the way through to Year 6).
Also, the Pupil Premium support for your child continues even if they are no longer entitled to receive free school meals under the “Ever 6” rule.
How do I know if I am eligible and how do I apply?
Through the Devon County Council Citizen Portal is the quickest and easiest way to check eligibility and to apply. They are also able to give you an instant decision so there is no need to wait to see if your application has been successful. Once you know the decision please advise the school straight away so that our records can be updated immediately.
The Citizen Portal website address in full is: https://oneonline.devon.gov.uk/CCSCitizenPortal_LIVE/Account/Login